2014/11/19

Wednesday, 19th November 2014

Isn't it weird how things work out?

Last night, sometime after our good news I told Jimmy, and Rohan and Patsy who had come to visit, that my throat was extremely sore.  I have been sneezing for the last few days and this is normally a good sign for me that something is brewing but I put it down to this awful south easterly wind that has been blowing a gale for days on end now.  And I did what I have been doing since Jimmy's diagnoses and took regular doses of Vitamin C powder.

This morning I woke up with my throat on fire and clammy skin.  I phoned straight away for a doctors appointment and have just come back from the chemist with a shopping bag full of medicine.  I have acute pharyngitis and a fever.  I can't believe it!  I haven't even had as much as a cold in the last almost 5 years.  And now, when it's the last thing I need, I get sick.  I told Dr Bell he needs to wave a magic wand as I cannot afford to get sick now.  Apart from infecting Jimmy, it means I can't take him to the clinic as I will put all the other cancer patients at risk and there is no way I can go anywhere near F4 isolation ward with a contagious ailment. He has given me Penicillin and I need to get an extra dose in during today and he said to sleep in a different room tonight and in 24 hours I shouldn't be contagious anymore.

I have given my body a good talking to.  I said "you have been fighting so hard at staying positive and getting through the hard days, been strong and not gotten sick up until now and this is not on!  You cannot let me down now, just before stem cell transplant". 

This actually sucks big time because all I want to do is give Jimmy hugs and kisses in light of our wonderful stem cell transplant news. 

You would not believe how big the smile on his face was yesterday when he came into our room to tell me that Mrs Viljoen has just phoned.  It is a memory I will never forget.

Thanks to each and everyone of you for all lovely messages, emails and phone calls.  We truly would never be able to walk this road without you. 

Your love and support has been our pillar of strength.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there Viv,
Hope you feel better soon! It sux having a cold or flu at this time of year, as there is always so much to do and to get done.
When I read your blog to say that the SCT has been approved, I jumped up and did a victory dance! I think that Adele, my daughter, thinks that her momma is TOTALLY INSANE! I am soooooooooooooo happy for Jimmy and for you! You both have come such a long way and you both deserve to get the happily ever after verdict! I just know that the SCT will go well and Jimmy will be in remission.
Be blessed!
Cheryl D

Post a Comment