2015/01/30

Friday, 30th January

Day 30 & 31 - Stem Cell Transplant

Well, another 2 days have passed and I really don't have much to tell you.

Jimmy is still doing ever so well.  He is so strong.  Today his white blood cell count is at 0.1 and his platelets are sitting at 13 (normal is 250).  Dr Fine said he would have his first platelet transfusion today but by the time I left the hospital at 6pm he had not received this yet.  They have now added some more nausea medication to the list that he is already taking.  He gets this as and when he needs it but is still feeling nauseous.  He is eating very little but the shakes make up for it and hasn't lost much weight at all, which we are very happy about.

He was very tired today, less talkative, didn't want to shower and dozed on and off but this is all due to his low platelets.  Dr Fine said that these two days will be his most crucial as his system is very low and he will be most at risk of getting an infection.  Jimmy's normal temperature is quite low, usually around 34.9 and 35.2 and at lunch time today it was 36.1 or 36.2 so they are keeping an eye on this.  And still no mouth sores !!

Just a couple more days and then we are definitely on the upward climb again.  I can't believe he has been in hospital 10 days already.  I feel like part of the furniture...

ps Almost 22000 views of the blog :)

2 comments:

Lorna A. said...

Hi Vivienne
Well I found you. :)
I remember that feeling of being part of the furniture. For me it was quite scary when I wasn't! Fingers crossed Jimmy climbs quickly and without complications, it was an infection via his Hickman line that kept Mike in for longer than we hoped. It seems they got on top of Jimmy's before they did the SCT.
Keep up the good work you two.
Lorna x x

Vivienne Smith said...

Hi Lorna,

Its so awesome to hear from you :) I am almost sorry I did not make contact sooner.

I read your last blog and I am so happy to hear that Mike is feeling better because I know this makes you feel better.

Onward and upward now
xx

Post a Comment