2015/01/26

Monday, 26th January

Day 27 - Stem Cell Transplant

Wow, time really seems to be dragging.  Each time I type the date at the start of a blog I second guess myself as it really feels like it should be February already.

I have just walked in the door from the hospital so this is just a quick update before the power goes off for load shedding at 8pm.  Jimmy is very nauseous and can't keep any food down so he is now on nutritional shakes a couple of times a day but even with these he just takes little sips.  Dr Fine changed his nausea medication at lunch time to a stronger pill at a cost of R1000 per pill!!  Hopefully they do the job.  She explained to us that they will not discharge him from isolation until he is back to the weight he was when he came in so I don't think they will mess around and if they see that he really can tolerate any food then they will tube feed him sooner than later.  His taste buds have gone for a ball and nothing has any taste now.

Other than this though, he is doing well.  He started reading a book I downloaded in his kindle today, and nice crime story, so hopefully he will get into reading a bit.  We moved the chairs around in the ward today and put his laptop on the trolley table.  We closed the curtains and made a very comfy 'ward cinema' and spend 2 hours watching a movie.  At least this makes the time go a bit quicker.

I saw Janette again this afternoon and she says that Ron's temperature had started to drop but they were busy putting a catheter in as his kidneys aren't working properly.

And then we also had some sad news today.  I have become quite friendly with one of the chemo patients daughters at the clinic.  Her mom and Jimmy were on the same rotation for chemotherapy and Pam, her daughter, always sat next to me and asked me about crochet as she had never tried it before.  She once brought me a dress that she had made to show me which she had hand sewn.  We last saw them when Jimmy went through to the clinic for his Zobone injection at the beginning of January.  Pam sent me a message this morning to tell me that her mom passed away last night.  This is quite a reality check....it's the second person that we have got to know that has now passed away.

So with the power going off now now, all that is left to do is get into bed and read my book.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope those expensive tablets to the trick and help Jimmy a bit. It is always scary when one hears about others succumbing to cancer, but we just have to hope and pray that Jimmy will be saved. Take care. Bryan and Sharon

Vivienne Smith said...

Hi Sharon,

I am very pleased to say that these tablets are definitely helping.

Losing friends you make in chemo clinic is unfortunately one the terrible down sides of the friendships you make there, but I believe everyone has their time. One thing Prof has told us right from the beginning is that the one thing that Jimmy does have to his advantage is his age, as usually this disease in only diagnosed much later in life and the elderly can not cope with a stem cell transplant.
xxx

Julie said...

Wow, so sorry Jimmy is not feeling well... maybe there haven't been enough zebras passing by his window to give him good luck? ;) So sorry the nausea is setting in but glad to hear they are on it, and upping his meds! On a serious note, I know what you mean about meeting fellow cancer patients and then learning they have passed. Always knocks the wind out of me, but also a good wake up call to live each day as a bucket list day. So tell Jimmy as lousy as he feels now, he'll be out and about enjoying his "engine overall" in no time! xoxo Julie

Vivienne Smith said...

So true Julie. You have a wonderful way with words.

Xx

Post a Comment