2014/12/03

Wednesday, 3rd December

Day 2 - Stem Cell Transplant


First of all - Happy Anniversary to my darling Jimmy. Thank you for the wonderful years we have spent together. It has been an awesome and very eventful journey and I look forward to many more with you by my side.


Jimmy was admitted today.  He had his lung function test which went fine and then we went down to high care.  Dr Fine inserted a PICC line in his groin area under local anaesthetic which also went without a hitch.  They actually put stitches in on each side of the tube and stitch the plastic parts to his leg so they cannot move.  Apparently this one will be removed again under local anaesthetic when he is discharged and when they ready to harvest stem cells they will put another one in but it will have a thicker tube.  They say these things can easily get infected and this is the reason it will not stay in as Prof had originally explained.

As soon as the line was up and running they had Jimmy hooked up to whatever is in the bags to pre-hydrate him.  He will get his first dose of the heavy chemo tomorrow morning.

Jimmy is such an amazing, positive person.  He was mumbling about the pages and pages of questions he had to tick yes and no to and I was telling him that at least he can do it now.  The last two times that he was in high care I did all the form filling in.  One of the questions was whether or not he is on contraception so Jimmy ticked yes and under comments wrote 'I use my personality'.  To the question about alcohol he answered 'yes please'.  I don't think he will ever change and I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have a cheerful Jimmy back.


The PICC line inserted in groin to administer chemo
 
I will try my best to do a quick update each evening during this process so that you all know how it is going and how Jimmy is doing.







No comments:

Post a Comment