2014/07/15

Tuesday, 15th July

Well...the big day has arrived.  Megan left today to go and work for Norwegian Cruise Lines on an 8 month contract on the NCL Jade, she will be sailing the Mediterranean.  We had an awesome family dinner at the Quarterdeck Restaurant at Grand West last night.  A big thank you to Michelle who took Jimmy to chemo while I stayed home and helped Megan with her last minute packing this morning.  Jimmy and Michelle went straight to the airport from chemo and we all met them there.  My Mom and Dad also came through from Bredasdorp and met us at the airport so it was a lovely big family send off.  I felt so proud watching the aeroplane take off :)  One does not realise how amazing technology is until you have a child that is going overseas.  She has already messaged me from way up in the sky, quite amazing!  She will sleep over in Santorini tomorrow night (one of the Greek Islands) and then join the ship on Thursday morning in the Jade Port.  I think once I know she is safely on board I will relax.

Bon Voyage Megan....her flight taking off

NCL Jade
As mentioned, Jimmy had chemo today again.  This was the last treatment of the 4th cycle.  Tomorrow evening we have another appointment with Prof Novitzky where we will find out what his M protein reading was at the end of the third cycle and he will also advise whether he is happy with 4 cycles of chemo or if Jimmy should have another 2 cycles.  Jimmy's red blood count and haemoglobin have remained much the same since Friday but his white blood count has dropped even further to 2.4 now.  I am glad I did not know this reading this morning because it would have been a very difficult decision to make and leave him at home while we all went to see Megan off.  We'll just have to be extra careful that he does not come into contact with anyone with bugs and I will ask Prof tomorrow if he is allowed out etc.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I cut Jimmy's hair this morning.  Basically, once he has the first of the big doses of chemo prior to harvesting his stem cells, he is going to lose his hair.  The clinic recommended that we shave his head as it's not a very nice experience waking up in the morning with huge clumps of hair on you pillow. So we decided that we might as well do it now.  No holes or bald patches either! I'm very impressed with my hidden talent!




2 comments:

Pam Wessels said...

Hi Viv have been keeping up to date reading your blogs (took me until a week ago to get it on my laptop) you and Jimmy are sooo brave and positive I am so sure you will win this battle. I was so pleased to hear that Megan was off to see the
world, I hope she has an amazing experience, you must be so proud of her. I wish Jimmy and you strength and blessings as you go through all the treatment, continue to be positive and believe
you will win. Much love Pam

Unknown said...

Hey Viv - she will soar. I was 17 when I got off the plane in CT! And look at the lovely people I met :) So very glad for you that Jimmy's treatment is progressing so well - you guys are amazing. All love xxx

Post a Comment