2015/03/03

Tuesday, 3rd March

Day 61 - Stem Cell Transplant

Today was Jimmy's 43rd day in isolation in hospital and yesterday was the first day that I did not go through to see him.  I didn't really have time to think about it yesterday because it was one of the most hectic days of my life.  I couldn't really give Jimmy much thought but when I arrived there this morning I realised just how much I missed seeing him. 

Now that he has been off morphine since Saturday or Sunday he is so much more alert.  I was telling him all about the fire and packing etc and he was asking me lots of questions.  He looked at all the photos too.  He got up just after I arrived and went to the loo and then had a shower.  He showered himself, I just held the sprayer for him and the only other thing that I had to help him with was drying his legs as he is not strong enough to support himself and bend over and then I just helped him step into his shorts.  He sat up in the lazy boy for most the time that I was there too.

He is trying very hard to eat but not managing very well.  He has no appetite and everything tastes funny and salty and every now and then he still vomits.  He has lost 2 kg since Sunday and had diarrhea today.  But other than this he is doing well.  His mouth is looking very good too. When I left this evening he said 'can't I just come with you'.  I am happy that he is feeling that much better that he actually wants to come home now because this means that he will try harder to overcome the last hurdles.

Jimmy asked Prof this morning when he thinks he can come home but Prof did not want to commit,

Today was the hottest day in Cape Town in 100 years.  It was 42 degrees at midday and in fact we were the hottest city in the world today.  It got to 43.5 degrees while I was driving home from the hospital early evening.

On the fire front....

We still had a couple of hot spots on the mountain side behind our house last night but this was being closely monitored throughout the night.  These has been a thick haze of smoke hanging over us for most of the day today.  The house still stinks like fire.  So much so that I could not fall asleep last night.  At 3 am I was still awake and had been for almost 24 hours.  It had been so noisy here all day with helicopters that the noise of them was still ringing in my ears.  There is also ash settling all over everything and suspect it is going to be like this for a while.  Each time I heard emergency vehicles passing the house I didn't know if the fire had started up again and once I did fall asleep I kept waking up to the smell of smoke and didn't know whether this was old smoke or new smoke.  I was tired because I couldn't fall asleep but I didn't want to sleep in case I didn't wake up if the fire did start again.  Some friends and I had been discussing that I need to watch out for things like snakes and spiders coming off the mountain in search of water and last night when I got into bed there was a scorpion on the bed next to my pillow!  The fire burned throughout the night on Chapman's Peak which is on the opposite side of our house.  First thing this morning the helicopters were back water bombing the mountain side and then they left here to go over to the Tokai Forest side where there has been a raging fire all day.  The fire engines left the Chapman's Peak area just before sunset this evening and at about 8:30pm I could see that some were back and seeing to the hot spots.

Driving over Ou Kaapseweg this morning was so eerie.  There is almost no green vegetation left, this all used to be beautiful Protea bushes where ever the eye could see.  It feels like you are driving through the end of the world.  It is so desolate.  We are expecting a little rain tomorrow morning so hopefully this will put the last of the fires out.  Tonight the fire from the Kalk Bay side has come around and burning above Clovelly.  They flew in 300 fire fighters from the Eastern Cape today to come and help fight the fires and expect that it will take a few days to get them all out and more than a week before the areas will be safe with no chance of any hot spots flaring up again.

There has been some amazing photography since Sunday, so I thought I would share some of these photos with you.

These are photos of the fire on Boyes Drive




 
 
And these photos are of the fire on the mountain side on our street
 









 
 
 
 



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Viv please send our best to Jimmy now that he is feeling a little better. I feel so sad about all the destruction caused by the fires, but I know that the protected family rely on fire to germinate so from the ashes beauty will grow. I know how you must have felt as the fire raged around you as we had a close call a few years ago here in SW where the fire stopped 35m away from my house they water bombed our house 3 times to prevent any damages, we stayed awake the whole night and the next night, assisted the firefighters on our estate and had everything packed as we where told to evacuate. So my wholehearted sympathies for you just what you didn't need in this time of stress. I am so glad Jimmy is feeling a tad better, when can we visit or better when he gets home. Once again send our love and wishes to Jimmy

Julie said...

Stunning pictures Vivienne! wow!!!... is all I can say to everything you and Jimmy are going thru. I feel like such a whimp now compared to what Jimmy has experienced... and I am soooooooooooo happy he is doing so much better! Being able to shower and take care of his personal needs is a BIG step in his healing! I know how much he wants to come home, but best to not rush it, as he has 24/7 medical care there in case he needs something. That's a lot of responsibility for you and your family, when he comes home... so hang in there Jimmy, and when you can take your IV stand a few laps around your hospital area... then you'll be well enough to come home :)
And I can't believe your drama just keeps on and on, Viv!! A SCORPION ON YOUR PILLOW!!! Seriously!!! Life just can't get any more ironic and challenging for you!!! So glad the fires are calming down. Hoping that is symbolic of Jimmy's challenges calming down too. I just can't believe how much has happened to Jimmy with his SCT, and how much you have had to tackle on the homefront! Start turning this blog into a movie script!!! wow Viv! So crazy everything you've been thru... love and hugs, Julie

Debra Meyners said...

What a difference a few days have made. It sure sounds like your Jimmy is really on the mend and will be home in no time. Goodness gracious, those fires must be terrifying! We get brush fires in our part of Texas in the summer, but nothing to compare to what you're having. Sending prayers your way for the fires to end and Jimmy to continue to improve.

Debra Meyners

Unknown said...

Hi Viv please send our best to Jimmy now that he is feeling a little better. I feel so sad about all the destruction caused by the fires, but I know that the protected family rely on fire to germinate so from the ashes beauty will grow. I know how you must have felt as the fire raged around you as we had a close call a few years ago here in SW where the fire stopped 35m away from my house they water bombed our house 3 times to prevent any damages, we stayed awake the whole night and the next night, assisted the firefighters on our estate and had everything packed as we where told to evacuate. So my wholehearted sympathies for you just what you didn't need in this time of stress. I am so glad Jimmy is feeling a tad better, when can we visit or better when he gets home. Once again send our love and wishes to Jimmy

Post a Comment