2015/02/27

Friday, 27th February

Day 57 - Stem Cell Transplant

What a positive day....it is so heart warming to see Jimmy improving daily now.

When I got to hospital just before 12:00 Jimmy had already had a shower with the help of the sister.  He had urine is his blood this morning but this was from one blood clot so after lunch they removed the bladder flush as well as his catheter.  His mouth is looking so much better that even Dr Fine was impressed.  He didn't need a platelet or blood transfusion today and no nebulising either.  Dr Fine is very happy with his temperature and they are now weaning him off the morphine, it was reduced to 1ml per hour today, and will more than likely be stopped tomorrow altogether.

He sat up in the lazy boy for quite a long time today again and he was awake quite a bit.  They have already disconnected the one feeding tube and Dr Fine has said that he needs to try and eat something now.  She also said that he must learn to be a bit more independent and she is sure the eating will go better if he feeds himself.  In fact his pole is looking pretty empty without all the bags of this and that and countless tubes. 

This is all that is left on the pole now and if they take down the morphine
tomorrow there will be even less

Jimmy felt very nauseous again this afternoon so Prof has put him back on that tablet that is a R1000,00 a pop.  At this price you would think I can remember the name!  Although he does not have an appetite it is important to get the nausea under control now as he needs to eat.  So at 5pm I handed him the bowl of soup and he ate about half of it by himself.  He also managed half a shake during the day. 

I had a good day today too.  I converted the spare chair into a desk and managed to do 4 hours of bookkeeping.  I'm also looking forward to tomorrow as I am going to see a movie with Patsy and will then head off to the hospital till later tomorrow night.  And now that I have done some paperwork I don't have to feel guilty about crocheting so I will do some more tomorrow.  A couple of the ladies following the blog have asked to see what I am making so I'll post some pictures in the next day or two.

My new office

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and let's keep fingers crossed that Jimmy will be home soon.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yay for Jimmy feeling better! What an ordeal he has been thru! Both of you! All of your family! Did you mean to say "urine in the blood" above? I bet his WBCs are higher than mine. At my most recent appt, my whites are only 2.5. I just love your posts and updates, and love seeing that he is getting the best of care! Good to see that his IV stand has so few bags there! Glad you are doing things to take care of you too. Tell Jimmy to hang in there, it all will be a distant memory soon, and you will be out somewhere amazing celebrating in no time!

Vivienne Smith said...

haha yes...blood in his urine.....

Post a Comment