2015/02/04

Wednesday, 4th February

Day 36 - Stem Cell Transplant

I am starting to see slow little steps of progress.

When I got to the hospital this morning I was quite shocked to see how bloated Jimmy was.  He looked like he had put on 5kg, this is as a result of the fluids he is getting.  So during the morning they slowed this down and then a bit later they gave him something to flush someof the fluids in his body.  There is quite a fine line between the antibiotics and fluids and getting the right amount in and out.   They also inserted a catheter.  He came off oxygen for about an hour but had to put him back on again.  His temperature was still 39+.

Dr Fine came to check on him and said she could here fluid in his lungs and wasn't sure if this was due to all the fluids in his body or from a possible infection and they would only know once some of the fluids had been flushed from his system but they were treating it as an infection to be on the safe side.  His blood pressure is still very low too so now he is not allowed up at all.  Dr Fine said that he should start feeling better in the next 3 days.  Let's hold thumbs.

He slept quite a bit today again but he was definitely a little bit more talkative in between.  I think he is starting to drive the sister crazy with all his questions.  He has a cuff permanently on him arm and his blood pressure and pulse etc is automatically read every 30 minutes.  At one stage the Velcro came lose so the cuff wouldn't inflate properly.  He buzzed for the sister and when she came in he asked her if this was normal.  I told him it doesn't mean anything, the Velcro had come lose.  But I think he keeps evaluating himself with these questions.

After lunch time his temperature came down to 38 and seems to have stabilised there.  And his white blood cell count is still on the climb, we at 0.8 today.  Here's hoping for a big fat 1 tomorrow.

I left the hospital at about 3:30 today because my girls are here for the night.  I am now in such a rut of hospital, home, paperwork and then bed that this afternoon actually felt like a public holiday.

And then on top of everything else going on at the moment I had a visitor on the property last night at 11:30.  I was just about to go out on to the stoep and switch off the lights and close up when I heard someone down at the end of our property where the carport is.  Our staffie had run outside and barked at the top drive way about 10 minutes prior to this.  I phone ADT and it took me 10 minutes to explain to lady that I was from San Michel which is in Cape Town and not Johannesburg like she kept asking me.  Then she wanted to know how long we had members of ADT.  I told her about 8 years and could she please hurry up as I am alone at home.  The bakkies with the patrollers were here within 2 minutes of me putting the phone down.  They spent about 30 minutes searching the property and I also called them to go and look upstairs because both bathroom windows were open so they closed them for me and checked all the bedrooms.  They even took ladders out their vehicles and searched all the big trees in our road and said that they would patrol the road during the night for me.  I got into bed and thought I would never fall asleep but I did, with Keira our Staffie on the bed next to me.

Today Maureen went through to Builders Warehouse and bought some security lights and arrived here with her son Garrick and a ladder and drill and put up lights all around the property for me.  A huge big thank you Maureen.  I am truly blessed with amazing friends xx

I know I will sleep safe and sound tonight with security lights and my girls to keep me company.  And my wish is that Jimmy too has a good nights sleep.

2 comments:

Julie said...

When it "rains, it pours"! I've talked with my pals who've been away from their houses for hospital visits, and it's really scary thinking about the possible unwanted visitors! And I always question how public we are with our blogs, but then get angry at having to edit our lives so much, in fear of all the crazies out there! Stay safe Vivienne, and go adopt a bunch of "vicious" guard dogs, or geese, or zebras!
It's amazing the differences of treatments as a result of how our individual bodies process this stupid MM disease. I wonder if the type of MM affects how we react to chemo, treatments, etc. If I recall correctly, Jimmy has IgG MM? I am IgA. I am so sorry for all his difficulties and side effects, but it sounds like he is in the best of care, and all his trials and suffering will be just a distant memory soon! Hang in there Jimmy, and try to be patient (and a good patient lol), as you'll get better soon, as your body rebuilds it's immune system. I remember being bloated too with all the IV fluids. I thought I would leave the hospital skinny, but not so. They are very good at keeping us hydrated and full of important nutrients.
Love your updates Viv! xoxo

Vivienne Smith said...

Hi Julie,

Talking about geese etc made me think of farms and then the fact that you have horses. I don't know why I have never thought of it before but we live in Noordhoek which is in the Western Cape and there are loads of horsy people here. You would absolutely love it. Next time I drive past them all I am going to take a photo and send it to you. From our house we have a beautiful view of Noorhoek beach which is a favourite spot where people ride their horses.

xx

xx

Post a Comment