2014/09/01

Monday, 1st September

Happy Spring Day to all!

The wild flowers are in full bloom and we have a perfect day in Cape Town.  In fact we've had such a huge change in weather conditions from snow almost across South Africa to a beautiful summers day that I thought maybe we had moved overnight!

Kirstenbosch Gardens last year this time
I am a little confused because I am sure I blogged on Thursday but can't find it.  But then again, maybe I am losing my marbles.

Anyhow....I'll backtrack a little.  Jimmy had chemo on Thursday and quite interesting to see how his white blood cell count dropped after being nice and high on Monday.  They are now down to 3.5 which is 0.5 below the normal range on 4 - 11.  Thursday was the end of first cycle so he has today off.  We see Prof on Wednesday evening for a checkup and discussion on how things are going.  They only do the M protein blood reading at the end of each cycle so I don't think there will be any results in yet.  We usually work on results one cycle behind.  And then Thursday will be the first session of second cycle which also means he will have The Red Devil again (Doxorubicin).  It looks like the huge drop in wbc will be a normal thing after The Red Devil so he will more than likely have to have Neupogen injections again.  On the positive, we are definitely starting to run a pattern and at least we know when he is at his best and worst with regards to his immunity.

I will also be cutting his hair short again this week.  If there is chance that it is going to fall out, it will probably start during this next cycle.  And on good advice from friends in the chemo clinic it is better to shave it short than wake up in the morning with huge chunks of hair on your pillow.

Jimmy has still been doing allot of work from home but definitely much tireder this treatment around compared to the first 4 cycles.  He dozes off much more in his chair these days and is sleeping in later in the mornings but on good weather days he still goes for a walk around the block each morning.

It was Fish Hoek High School's Diamond Jubilee celebrations this weekend (60 years).  Cheryl and I attended Founder's Day assembly on Friday.  I'm not sure if any friends living overseas know if Theresa Booth is following this blog or if you have her on facebook but it would be great if you could get a message to her.  Her father Erick was guest speaker and what a good job he did!  He had us all in fits of laughter.  On Saturday the school celebrated with a Gala Dinner which Cheryl, Maureen and myself attended.  Welcome drinks, speeches by the Head Girl and Head Boy from the class of 1964, a 3 course dinner and live music with lots of dancing.  The wine was flowing and we got home just before 2am.  Any ex school friends - have a look at our Class of '85 facebook page for some photos.  There are two lovely photos of Greg Bramwell's mom and Theresa Booth's mom.  A very memorable occasion and I was indeed a proud ex Fish Hoek High School pupil.

We had a visit from Will on Friday and from Rohan and Patsy later in the evening.  Yesterday was such a beautiful day that we braai'd at Rohan and Patsy's.  It was lovely for Jimmy to see Guy and Catherine, Billy and Colleen and Kim again.  He really has been itching to get out.  Strange how this Multiple Myeloma has become part of our daily lives and on good days I sometimes wonder if he still has cancer.  But it is a stark reminder when like yesterday we got home from the braai, and Jimmy had such a good day health wise, and passed out in his chair within 10 minutes of getting home.

I lay in bed last night listening to the drip drip drip of what I was sure was the geyser overflow.  We've just had a plumber in, thank you to an old school friend Andrew Lund, from Sunset Plumbing,  for coming so quickly. The geyser is burst and we need to have the roof removed to install a new one. Fun and games!

We're holding thumbs for Brad and all the FHHS matrics who start writing mock matric this week - good luck to you all.

We count our blessings as we keep Andrew's sister in our thoughts.  She is nearing the end of her cancer journey and we pray that she is at peace.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Vivienne
My hair fell out exactly 20 days after having the red devil. Stupidly, it was one heck of a shock! I had been warned that it would happen, but just did not want to believe it. My hair falling out was also painful. Luckily my mother in law is a hairdresser, so she shaved my head and we had a good laugh about it. I am so lucky to have the friends and family in my life that I do, as they supported me through everything. My dad shaved his head when my hair fell out and he kept his head shaved until my hair started growing back. My whole family came to every chemo session that I had and took turns coming into the chemo room to sit with me while having treatment.
Did anyone tell you that Jimmy's chance of feeling or getting sick during or after a chemo session is greatly reduced by drinking at least 2 litres of water while having chemo? Starting an hour or two before is even better. I was not sick at all. Not even once!
Bless you both and take care.
Cheryl

Post a Comment