2014/11/29

Saturday, 29th November

Isn't it amazing how things can take a turn....we have gone from all this anxious waiting to getting a phone call yesterday afternoon telling us they we are starting SCT (stem cell transplant) on Monday. 

I can't believe the whole process is starting.  I've done some reading up and must admit I am feeling a bit nervous as it is quite a procedure.  There I was all excited that they are going to do the harvesting side of things this year and the transplant in January, which meant that we can after all have a normal Christmas and do some family things but from what I understand is it's going to be quite hectic.

We received a patient SCT programme from Prof Novitzky yesterday.  Unfortunately not for the whole process but up to the 18th of December.  But maybe this isn't such a bad thing because the transplant side of things is going to be really rough and it is probably better that we find out all about that next year.

I am going to give you a breakdown of what is happening when but at this stage I am not too sure of what it all entails.  We have an appointment with Prof on Monday evening and I will be taking my shorthand notebook with :)

On Monday the 1st we have to go through to the chemo clinic where they will do his safety bloods and a cardio assessment.  The schedule also says that he has to have a bone marrow biopsy but I don't think this will be done as Jimmy has had one within the last month so I am sure they will use these results.
If there is a need for another bone marrow biopsy then this will be done on Tuesday the 2nd.
On Wednesday the 3rd Jimmy will have a lung function test and then be admitted for pre-hydration. 
He will remain in hospital for Thursday the 4th and Friday the 5th so that they can administer the heavy dose of chemo twice a day for two days.
Then on Wednesday the 10th I start giving him Neupogen injections daily for 10 days to stimulate stem cell production.
On Wednesday the 17th we has to go back to the clinic for full blood counts.
And on Thursday the 18th they start the collection of stem cells by aphaeresis.  This could take anything from 1 to 4 days.

We will obviously know more on Monday after our appointment with Prof about what will effect him how and when and whether or not his immunity will be compromised around Christmas.  I will try and update again on Monday evening to keep you all in the loop.

On the left hand side under pages you will find a link called 'Stem Cell Transplant'.  Here I have explained in detail what a stem cell transplant is all about.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh man ... I've just typed a long message, and now it's lost as I had to log back into my account!!! Anyway, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck for today onwards with the SCT stuff going on now ..... my thoughts & prayers are with you all during the time - and hopefully things will run smoothly, with no hitches, and you can then enjoy some form of Christmas together ..... I hope & pray it goes well ..... stay strong and positive always - I know you can ..... much love as always ... Babs xxx

Post a Comment