2015/11/06

Friday, 6th November

After being so disappointed last night that they had to sedate Jimmy again I was expecting another day like yesterday, today.

I phoned ICU to check up on him before I went through this morning and they told me that they had turned off the sedation in the early hours of this morning.  Once he was out of sedation they tested his breathing which was fine and he had been extubated.  I couldn't get done quick enough and the drive through took forever to say the least.

When I walked in I stopped and smiled at him but he couldn't really make out who it was.  Physio were busy with him so I just stepped a bit closer and then he waved at me.  Oh my word...what a huge relief to have him awake.

He was still very groggy but this got better as the day went by.  At first he complained that it was hard to breath but this improved.  He is also extremely weak and very emotional.  I talked to him on and off during the day to tell him what he had been through.  He doesn't remember at all being transferred from high care to ICU or being told that they were going to sedate him and intubate him.  As the day went on he started asking me questions like how long had he been there and when I told him that today was his 9th day and that he had been in a medically induced coma and on a ventilator because he couldn't breath by himself for 6 days he started crying.  Later he asked me if I had been coming to see him and I explained that I had been with him each day, as had his folks and the kids had also been to see him he got upset again.

Physio came to see him again later in the afternoon.  His Hickman line has been removed and because his left hand was so swollen they also removed that line today; this one was for taking bloods.  Already a lot of the swelling in his fingers, face and neck has come down.  Jimmy still has an oxygen mask he has to wear as this has to stay above 95.  He is coughing quite a bit and takes the mask off when he does and the oxygen levels drop quite quickly.  I'm hoping that they will change the mask for one of those prong type thingies that go up each nostril as this will be much more comfortable for him.

I had to laugh this afternoon.  He definitely has a phobia about sleeping in hospital!  He started moaning at the sister, telling her that he can't sleep and he hasn't slept for days.  She told him that he has been dozing on and off all day and that he will have a good night's sleep tonight but if he can't sleep they will give him a sleeping tablet.  And with that he went back to sleep again.

Jimmy on Thursday morning still on the ventilator.

Jimmy today while he couldn't sleep hehe


4 comments:

John said...

Great news! Wishing you both continued recovery.

Julie said...

OMGosh!!!!!!!! that's such WONDERFUL NEWS Vivienne!!! I am thrilled to read Jimmy is doing so much better! And he looks good in the pictures you posted! What a huge relief he is doing so well and responding to all his treatments! Yiippeeee!!! Whew!!! I am soooooooooo happy to read this post!!! xoxo

Unknown said...

Glad to see sleeping beauty with out the pipes and other drips and devices on him looks quite at peace, hope this just gets better. As for your self Viv hope you are looking after yourself . Our love too you and Jimmy, please send my regards to Papa and Mama Smurf.

Unknown said...

great news!!!! please send young James all our love, we think of him every day x B & C

Post a Comment