2022/05/23

Sunday, 15th May 2022

 Hello everyone,

Jimmy was admitted on Friday for his long hospital stay, to get SCT underway.He only had to be at the hospital at 6pm so that he could be pre-hydrated overnight.  Friday was a pretty crap day for both of us as we spent the whole day waiting to go in.  Jimmy was anxious and so was I.  I also felt like I was going to burst into tears at any moment.  Emma leaves on Monday, so Jimmy had to say goodbye to her and he was very emotional.  It's funny how we've both been frustrated by all the delays with his chemotherapy, but on Friday I would have given for Prof to phone and say they're going to delay this by a week.  But once we were at the hospital and Jimmy was settled in his isolation ward we both felt a lot better.

On Saturday he had his first round of strong chemo and he is already having the second round today.  Yesterday morning they did bloods and his potassium levels were quite elevated so they changed his fluids trip to one without potassium.  They'll be doing bloods twice a day from here on out.

Jimmy is in a good place at the moment.  He has to urinate into the jug so that they can monitor his fluids intake and how much be pees.  He said he's going to put the jig in the bathroom so that he is forced to get up to pee.  Prof also discussed him having an exercise bicycle so that when he feels up to it he can spend some time on the bike.  Even if it's only 5 minutes.  So they'll organize this and it would be in about 2 week's time.

Jimmy didn't have a very good night's sleep last night.  He says the buzzer's kept going off on all the monitors they have him connected to.  So he's going to ask for sleeping tablets from tonight.

Tomorrow they the SCT.  When he had his 1st SCT they let me be there but Rondebosch Medical Centre Hospital seems to be much stricter so I can't this time.  Jimmy will to start to feel the effects of the 2 strong chemo's and having almost no blood counts from Tuesday.  This will be the critical time for him.  I must say, it's not easy knowing what's coming the 2nd time around.

Emma leaves tomorrow evening which means neither Jimmy or Emma will be home for the next month.  I am dreading the airport goodbye.  But I'm hoping to get into a routine from Tuesday, of going through to the hospital each day and getting things done that need to be done each day at the Lodge.  It takes almost an an hour to drive there and another hour back.  I'm feeling very tired but I think it's also because this whole thing is on my mind 24/7.  I'm very thankful that I have Riley for company.  And my parents are coming through on Tuesday for 4 nights so I'm really looking forward to this and appreciate it.  It doesn't matter how old you are, you still need your Mom and Dad.

Love Viv💗





No comments:

Post a Comment