2014/04/29

Tuesday, 29th April

Today is two weeks since Jimmy was diagnosed.  In some ways it feels like forever and in other ways not.  I feel like this whole cancer cloud has been around for much longer than this but I think this is because his back has been so sore for so long.  But then I can't believe that we are going into our third week of him being home with me during the day.  He keeps talking about popping into work for a few hours (more just to visit, I think) and it doesn't happen but today he said he might pop in tomorrow and I was like....what?.... what am I going to do while you not here??  I'm sure he must be missing the work day and interaction with his staff terribly.

The good news is that today was the last 40 cortisone tablet breakfast he had to endure Yay! The other fizzy medicine is also finished.  Jimmy's backache has been worse and he isn't sleeping as well as a result, so we decided to change his pills.  He is on pain killers every 6 hours and he was on anti-inflammatory tablets every 8 hours.  On Friday Prof changed the anti-inflammatory ones to one that is taken once a day and they don't seem to be working as well and since he still had some left,  we've gone back to the pink ones.  By this evening he is feeling some relief.  The pain is quite strange as it seems to move around from one side of his ribs to the middle at his spine and then to the back of his hips on each side of his spine.  I am wondering if this is the different lesions playing up?  I am a bit weary of going onto the Internet to research Myeloma because I'm not to sure what to believe.  It would be great to get a good book with all the info....does anyone have any recommendations or perhaps know someone who could recommend a good book?

We played the waiting game today.  At 08h30 Jimmy was on the phone to the medical aid to find out if the authorisation for the chemotherapy has gone through, only to be told they haven't received the motivation from Prof.  When we saw Prof on Friday he told us that it had already been done and we should phone this morning.  So I phoned UCTPAH but didn't manage to get hold of anyone today.  When I phoned the medical aid at 15h30 they still hadn't received anything.  Very frustrating as I don't know who is in the wrong.  The other thing is that the treatment has to be twice a week and this can only be on a Monday and Thursday or a Tuesday and Friday.  Monday is gone and Thursday is a holiday (the clinic isn't open on public holidays) and today is gone and I'm not sure if they will start treatment on a Friday.  So chances are we are looking at next week now.

I had a very productive day today doing financial year end for Miniature Monsters, throwing myself into figure work.....it felt very good!  We had rain in Cape Town today too which was wonderful for my garden but not so good for Brush Works.  Thankfully we were high pressure cleaning today so it made no difference if it was raining as my guys and everything get we anyway. The mornings and evenings are definitely getting cooler.....winter is on its way.

I would  like to say thank you to each and every one of you for supporting us through this.  Your thoughts and prayers mean so much.  I have not commented on any of your comments because I don't really know what to say.  I have mentioned before that to keep saying thank you sounds so arb but I really mean a big BIG thank you, from the bottom of my heart.  I love reading your comments, you are all so brave.  In fact, I read them a few times each day....they remind me that I am not losing my mind.

Well, it's 8pm and there are no school lunches to make so I am going to say good night and go snuggle up to my man on the couch with a blanket and watch a movie :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No need to thank us Viv . We thank you for keeping us posted .Pete J

Unknown said...

You and Jimmy are the brave ones, and coping amazingly.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing all this with us!! You are one brave woman! Stay strong and know you, Jimmy and family is in our hearts and prayers. All the best for the coming weeks! Take it one day at time. BIG HUG xxxx

Vivienne Smith said...

Thanks for your comments. I write this for anyone who is following the blog and would like to comment but doesn't want to open a gmail account: You can comment as anonymous (as above) but write your name at the end of your comment so I know who you are. Of course you don't have to if you want to stay anonymous :)

Post a Comment