2014/06/08

Sunday, 8th June

A cold wintry Sunday and all that is missing is a blazing fire and as I type this the rain is coming down again.

We've had such a lovely weekend.  Not going to work alters ones whole outlook on the week days and weekends and for a while, at times, they have just rolled into each other.  To such an extent that sometimes I have even lost track of the days.  But this weekend has definitely felt like a weekend and for a brief moment I had that little down feeling one gets when you realise that it is Sunday and all is back to normal on Monday.  But then I remembered that our Monday is not like your Monday anymore.

On Friday night we were glued to the TV screen and watched 4 episodes of Game of Thrones.  We only went to bed just after midnight and Jimmy slept right through and woke up at 9:15am!  The weather, although still cold, was clear and the sun was out on Saturday morning so I decided to carry out the surprise that I had wanted to give Jimmy, what I think is 2 weeks back already.  Just shows how long the weather has been so miserable.  I got him dressed all warm and snug with a beanie and a lap blanket (a Springbok one) and off to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens we went.  I had phoned to enquire about wheel chair access for Boomslang, which is their Centenary Tree Canopy Walkway, and was told that it is wheelchair friendly.  There must obviously be a difference between wheelchair access and wheelchair friendly.  Friendly must mean you have to built like Popeye!  I have to tell you, I nearly died pushing Jimmy up the pathways.  It felt like I was doing the Argus Cycle Tour.  So much so, that I was huffing and puffing and panting and the sweat was running down my back.  Every now and then Jimmy would say "are you alright darling?" and I would answer him in my 'answering the phone voice' "yes thanks love".  The gruelling task must have been evident from the look on my face because two youngsters aged about 10 came up to me and asked if they could help.  I was so out of breath I could hardly answer but I gladly handed the wheelchair over to them.  And of course now I have to mention...it took BOTH of them to run Jimmy up the hill.  Bless them, I don't think I would have made it.  But it was definitely worth it.  The Canopy Walk is spectacular and the views are amazing.  It does wobble quite a bit and is very high off the ground so not for the faint hearted and you wouldn't make it up there in a wheelchair if the persont can't get out and walk in parts.  There are also some steps.  On the way back walking through the gardens is also quite a steep downhill so I suggested Jimmy get out and walk as I had visions of the wheelchair and Jimmy running the gauntlet down the pathway, out of control.  We stopped for a coffee at the coffee shop there which was also very nice as it has an open air balcony which meant we could sit there as Jimmy is not allowed in spaces with lots of people at the moment, due to his low white blood cell count.  And he drove home!  It felt very good to be chauffeured for a change.


On Saturday evening Rohan and Patsy and Jimmy's parents came around for rugby and dinner.  Jimmy was thrilled that the Bokke won.  What a wonderful ending to a lovely day.

And today has been a day filled with lots of special visitors.  Steff, Ant and Kathi popped in this morning.  Thanks to Steff and Sally for the lovely birthday plant :)  We had a visit from our dear friends Abel and Marietha from Pretoria.  We truly hope that next time you are down we will join you in the box for some rugby.  A big thank you too, to Gert and Cheryl who also came to visit from Namibia.  You are both such an inspiration to us.  We also had a visit from Harry, thanks for dropping off the the back brace and to Guppy for organising this.

I've been taking Jimmy's temperature every couple of hours since Friday and have strict instructions that if it gets to 38 we need to phone the hospital, who will get hold of Prof.  So far so good and we see Prof Novitzky on Wednesday again, when they will take more bloods and hopefully by then his white blood cells count will be up.  It really makes the load allot easier to carry when Jimmy is feeling well so I am looking forward to this week.  My girlfriends are taking me out for supper on Monday evening, to celebrate my birthday on Tuesday and my folks are specially driving down to spend the day with me on Tuesday too.

My blessings today are each and every one of you who has touched us in some way or the other.  I could never travel this road alone and I am so grateful to you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These good days can fill our sometimes half full jars to the brim! May this be a week filled with grace and sweet blessings xxx

Post a Comment