2014/05/28

Wednesday, 28th May

Chemo went well yesterday, just  a very long day.  A whole lot of concoctions were added and Jimmy had 6 bags that had to s..l..o..w..l..y drip through.  Thankfully this long episode will only be at the beginning of each cycle.  It was nice to see our new Tuesday friends again too.  I do get a bit frustrated with the whole medical aid system.  I went to get his tablets for the next 3 days and it wouldn't go through medical aid because I wasn't making use of the preferred provider.  I ask you.....aren't we at Netcare, nearly an hour away from home, because Netcare Hospitals are our preferred provider??

Today is Wednesday.....my girls come for the night and it's lovely having them here.  I just love cooking dinner with them hanging around telling me stories of what's going on in their lives and of course my favourite....their antics at school.  I don't remember enjoying school so much.  I did love school but I don't think we had so much fun and we were all scared of our teachers.   I haven't seen them for a week and it feels like a lifetime.  We are also looking forward to this weekend as all the kids will be here and the house will be busy with lots of love and laughter.

Even with a sleeping tablet, Jimmy did not sleep very well last night.  At about 5pm yesterday afternoon his hands started with the numb/tingling feeling again and it hasn't stopped.  From what he has explained to me it must feel a bit like restless leg syndrome.  It frustrates him terribly.  He is feeling terribly down today too.  I am sure this weather has something to do with it.  Funny how we were discussing how you sit at work on days like this and wish you could be at home, under a blanket on the couch, watching movies.  Well Jimmy is so tv'd out and he isn't really interested in reading a book or even a magazine.  I think there is a good South African word to sum up how he feels...gatvol.

I think he was very grateful for the meeting he had with one of his colleagues this afternoon.  He really misses the office environment and this gives him a chance to catch up on things.  We also had a surprise visit from Jorrie which was lovely.  Next time Jorrie, you will have to come on a weekend so that I can have a long overdue catch up with Magda.  Quite funny because Jorrie came in through the garage and noticed our caravan and they have just bought the same one.  We look forward to a relaxing camp with you guys in the near future.

I phoned Olivia at the chemo clinic this morning to tell her that the feeling in Jimmy's hands is worse and she said she would get in touch with Prof.  There isn't anything they can do for it but she also said that she thinks they will slow down the chemo to once a week instead of twice.  Of course this has other consequences like the fact that the whole chemo period will be doubled and his back pain will take twice as long to get better.  And there I was worried that Jimmy might lie to me about his hands because he wants to get his treatments over and done with.  All I can say is that if he is complaining, knowing it is going to prolong everything, it must be very uncomfortable.

Things are really starting to move along with regards to Megan leaving in July and going to work for the Norwegian Cruise Lines.  Tomorrow at 2pm we have an appointment with the Italian consulate as we now have her letter of employment, insurance documents and flights etc.  She joins the NCL Jade in Venice, Italy and they set sail on the 12th of July.  It's an 8 month contact and she is so excited about this adventure which she is about to embark on.  My girls are growing up far too quickly!

My blessings today are Kathi and Antony for the awesome homemade steak pie which was delivered for supper last night.  I always fancied myself as a not-half-bad-cook but you people are all putting me to shame.  It would be nice if a bad cook would drop off a meal to make me feel good ;) :)  And then to Steve and Kathrin, thank you so much for the wonderful offer of a little time away in the Farmhouse at Bonnievale River Lodge.  This might just be what the doctor ordered.

Thank you for all your positive comments, love and prayers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning. Glad to hear chemo went well. Just stay warm and relax Jimmy, one day and one chemo at a time. Someone once said, PATIENCE IS BITTER, BUT IT'S FRUITS ARE SWEET!! Strongs for the day and the rest of week. As always you are in our hearts and prayers. Luv D'ian xx

Anonymous said...

Always in our thoughts and prayers. Rob and Arlene

Unknown said...

Hi Vivienne I have a back brace that may help Jimmy, discuss with the professor if it may help with stabilising his back.

Unknown said...

You're lucky I live so far away - cooking is certainly not my strong point ~ ask Paris, she'll tell you!!!!! Anyway, sending some more love your way - may you have a good weekend xxx

Post a Comment