2014/05/11

Sunday, 11th May

One day at a time.....and that is how we have to learn to take things....

I didn't go visit Jimmy this morning as I took some time off to do some catch-up at home and got up at 7am to make sure Loren was up and whether she wanted a lift to work or if she was happy to go on her motorbike.  She opted to use her  motorbike so I got back into bed and the plan was to snooze for another hour.  I woke up at 11h15 with the home phone ringing.  Emma was fast asleep next to me and Megan was still asleep upstairs.  I couldn't believe it was so late!  We obviously all needed the lie-in.

The girls and I popped down to De Noordhoek Hotel to Village Sushi  this afternoon for a late Mother's Day sushi lunch which was lovely.  I really haven't given them much of my time lately and it was just so nice to spend some special time together.  Jimmy's folks went to visit him at 3pm as I was going through this evening.  The night sister on duty the last two nights has not been very friendly.  On Friday night she asked me to leave just after 8pm and last night I didn't even chance staying too late as she was on duty again, but she was a bit friendlier.  I asked Jimmy to please ask the day shift to write in the book that I would be spending some extra time with him tonight as he wanted to shower....I am learnig the ropes.

When I got there they were moving his drip from his right hand to his left hand as the right one is very painful, bruised and swollen.  We managed to get him up but his back keeps going into spasms so it's a long process of resting in between small movements.  I have to get him and the drip into the shower, thankfully it is one of those hand held types so I can spray him off and he has to hold onto the railings around the walls of the shower to hold himself up.  He had quite a few spasms in the shower and at one point I thought he was going to collapse.

An hour later I had him back in bed but he is was very weak tonight...he hasn't even got the strength to blow his nose and his chest was feeling very tight so they put him on a nebuliser for 20 minutes. The good news is that his phlegm is much lighter in colour which hopefully means the pneumonia is starting to clear up.  I sat with Jimmy for a while but his back kept going into spasm without him even moving and he was complaining about being in allot of pain and feeling dizzy so I went to call the sister.  She put some painkillers into the drip and said she is worried about his blood pressure and he needed to go on the oxygen mask so I told him that I was going to go home to give them some space to work on him.

I hope he has a good night's sleep, so that he is rested, and a better day tomorrow as his next chemo treatment is on Tuesday.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet girl, you are amazing. I hope that sharing this blog is helping you feel supported - it certainly makes me think of you all and send all the love and prayers I have. I think your acknowledgement of the choice you face between Jimmy and the girls is brave and honest. I love the stories of friendship you share, and the light of hope in your voice as you measure improvement and good days. Hang in there kiddo xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Viv - I may not comment everyday , but I do read your daily updates each day but always am thinking of you guys .Pete J

Post a Comment