2014/05/13

Tuesday, 13th May

My Camel Man is home - check out the beard!
And the gentleman sitting behind Jimmy is the best porter anyone could ask for, what passion!

It's so good to have Jimmy home and I think he is looking forward to a good night's sleep without being woken up every two hours to have his vitals checked.  He is still very weak and needs to be supported when he walks, which he only does when he needs to go the loo.  His breathing is still very shallow and he doesn't talk much because it makes him quite breathless but he is smiling and his colour is good.

My concerns about why he has been feeling so down, unwell and just slept for the last two days have also been explained.  His chemotherapy treatment is done in cycles. One cycle is three weeks and this consists of intravenous chemo twice a week for two weeks (Fridays and Tuesdays) and then a week off.  But at the start of each cycle i.e. the  first Friday, he also has to take an oral chemotherapy tablet once a day for 5 days.  It is this tablet that gives him these side effects.  When I asked the doctor why this wasn't explained to us she said that unfortunately with him having his first two chemo treatments in hospital, medication is just given orally and in the drip without any explanation.  Had we been to the chemo clinic to have the treatment it all would have been explained to us.  So basically what will happen when we go through to the clinic on Friday for his third treatment is they will take bloods to make sure everything in order to have the treatment.  They then do his chemo treatment and then we get a script for any medication we need like nausea tablets etc.

 I downloaded a book on my kindle called Medifocus Guidebook on:  Multiple Myeloma. I have found this to be very informative with easy to read explanations.  I also have a PDF version which I can email with my password to access it.  If anyone is interested in a copy please drop me an email to smithfam@afrihost.co.za and I will reply with the attachment and password.

My blessings today are to thank Aunty Liz for recommending the Multiple Myeloma guidebook and to Kathi for doing a house call, my nails look beautiful!  To my Meggypegs for making supper tonight and thank you Ewen for taking the girls to school for the last two mornings.

My new golden rule : reassurance, encouragement, positive attitude and continuous love

Night night all from a happy home tonight xx


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep smiling my lovelies. Glad to hear Jimmy's back home. Hope he has a good night's sleep tonight .... take care for now .... Barbie xx

Unknown said...

Hi Viv, just read through your blog and all I can say is WOW, you guys have been through such a traumatic time but you are absolutely amazing!!!
Thank you for keeping us updated it means such a lot.
Hang in there Jimmy, you are doing so well.
Lots of Love, Hugs & Kisses, take care, both of you xxx Charmaine xxx

Anonymous said...

So glad that Jimmy could come home. Praying that the side effects of chemo are manageable. Take care, all of you. Sharon xxx

Unknown said...

Hi Viv and Jimmy, I couldnt beleive it when Alastair told me the news. I am so sorry and send you all our love and prayers. It sounds like you are handling this very well and with the perfect attitude. I am glad Jimmy is home and am sure he is on the road to recovery. Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do for you.

Lots of love
Tanya
xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this with us - if there is anything at all you need please just pick up the phone - fetching and carrying, shopping etc.... 0823623627. Sending big hugs xxx

Unknown said...

Viv and Jimmy you are both in my thoughts and prayers. Strongz to you both during this long and difficult road
xxx

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear Jimmy is home with you now. Please give him our love and know that we are routing for you all. We know its a tough road to travel, but your positive attitude goes a long way in helping you through. Shout if you need anything, 0732802971. Lots and lots of love, Hazel & Gavin Tutt

Post a Comment